N3C Registration Checklist
Data Enclave & Data Access Requirements
To expedite the creation of your N3C Data Enclave account, please ensure you have the following items in place.
✔ Confirmation that an executed Data Use Agreement (DUA) exists between your organization and NCATS.
- If your institution does not have a signed DUA, access a copy of the DUA to be signed by your institution and email it to NCATSPartnerships@mail.nih.gov for counter-signature by NCATS.
✔ Completion of NIH Information Security and Information Management Training
- Each individual data user must complete only the first course on the list titled: 2023 Information Security consisting of these 5 modules: Information Security, Counterintelligence & Insider Threat, Privacy, Records Management, Emergency Preparedness. (Allow 60-90 minutes to complete all 5 modules inside the first course only.)
- After completing the 5th module of the 2023 Information Security course (only), a button will appear on the top bar that says "Print Certificate".
✔ Documentation of completion of Human Subjects Research Protection training in alignment with your institution's policies if you intend to access the de-identified or limited datasets. (This training requirement does not apply to investigators who will only access the synthetic dataset.)
- Users will be asked to provide the date the training was completed, and retain evidence of completion to provide NCATS upon request.
- NIH Required Education in the Protection of Human Research Participants or CITI Program courses may be used to complete your required training; consult your Human Research Protection Program (HRPP) for your institution's specific requirements.
Data Use Request (DUR)
NOTE: Data access requirements may change over time.
✔ To fill out the electronic Data Use Request (DUR) form within the Enclave, you will be asked to provide the following:
- Sufficient information for the Data Access Committee (DAC) to understand the proposed research project and analyses
- Rationale for the requested level of access needed to conduct the proposed work
- A generalized outline of anticipated analysis
✔ If requesting access to the limited dataset, a copy of your institution’s Human Research Protection Program (HRPP) IRB determination letter must be available for uploading.
NOTE: Users can only register themselves for an account. (You cannot have someone register on your behalf.)
NOTE: N3C members who previously had accounts for accessing Palantir training will have to re-register for a new N3C Data Enclave account to gain access.
✔ Institutional email address
- Citizen scientists will not have an institutional email address and are required to use the same email address to register for their N3C Data Enclave account as they used to establish their DUA.
✔ A smartphone or tablet
✔ Downloaded two-factor authentication app
- System will offer apps, such as DUO, Free OTP, Google Authenticator, and Microsoft Authenticator.
✔ ORCID ID is required to access the N3C Data Enclave and is used to provide author attribution.
- Account creation is free and quick.
If you experience difficulty with any of these steps, please visit the N3C Support Desk.