Data Enclave & Data Access Requirements
To expedite the creation of your N3C Data Enclave account, please ensure you have the following items in place.
✔ Confirmation that an executed Data Use Agreement (DUA) exists between your organization and NCATS.
- If your institution does not have a signed DUA, access a copy of the DUA to be signed by your institution and email it to NCATSPartnerships@mail.nih.gov for counter-signature by NCATS.
✔ Completion of NIH Information Security and Information Management Training
- Each individual data user must complete only the first course on the list titled: 2020 Information Security consisting of these 5 modules: Information Security, Counterintelligence & Insider Threat, Privacy, Records Management, Emergency Preparedness. (Allow 60-90 minutes to complete all 5 modules inside the first course only.)
- After completing the 5th module of the 2020 Information Security course (only), a button will appear on the top bar that says "Print Certificate".
✔ Documentation of completion of Human Subjects Research Protection training in alignment with your institution's policies if you intend to access the de-identified or limited datasets. (This training requirement does not apply to investigators who will only access the synthetic dataset.)
- Users will be asked to provide the date the training was completed, and retain evidence of completion to provide NCATS upon request.
- NIH Required Education in the Protection of Human Research Participants or CITI Program courses may be used to complete your required training; consult your Human Research Protection Program (HRPP) for your institution's specific requirements.
Data Use Request (DUR)
NOTE: Data access requirements may change over time.
✔ Preview the sample Data Use Request form to understand what will be asked.
✔ To fill out the Data Use Request (DUR) form, you will be asked to provide the following:
- Sufficient information for the Data Access Committee (DAC) to understand the proposed research project and analyses
- Rationale for the requested level of access needed to conduct the proposed work
- A generalized outline of anticipated analysis
✔ If requesting access to the limited dataset, a copy of your institution’s Human Research Protection Program (HRPP) IRB determination letter must be available for uploading.
NOTE: N3C members who previously had accounts for accessing Palantir training will have to re-register for a new N3C Data Enclave account to gain access.
✔ Institutional email address
- Individual citizen scientists will follow other instructions noted on the registration page.
✔ A smartphone or tablet
✔ Downloaded two-factor authentication app
✔ ORCID ID is required to access the N3C Data Enclave and is used to provide author attribution.
- Account creation is free and quick.